BC, Unreal Engine Lighting Artist - Expression of Interest
Unreal Engine Lighting Artist - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in British Columbia (or Ontario) if applying within Canada.
Zoic Studios is a Visual Effects company that specializes in high end visual effects for television, film, and advertising. Our mantra is Visual Evolution - we focus on every part of the process, from the final picture to the pipeline used to create them.
Are you looking for your next creative and technical challenge? Come join our team!
Why Join Zoic?
- We are an Artist owned and operated VFX studio.
- We love what we do and always stay curious about new technology and techniques.
- We respect work/life balance in a hectic industry.
- We work with a team from all walks of life and backgrounds.
The Unreal Lighting Artist is responsible for the creation and execution of Lighting and Shader content required in the delivery of previsualization, post-visualization and final pixel as per the direction of the Department Supervisors, Leads, Creative Director, and the client. This position requires a strong understanding of all aspects and components of photo-real and real time lighting and look development and the ability to anticipate and plan to achieve the visual and production execution goals of the show.
- Create amazing Lighting scenarios for Unreal Projects as per the client vision via Department Supervisors, Show VFX Supervisors, Department Leads and Creative Director artistic direction.
- Help develop the overall lighting tone and style, shaders, execution process, light rigs, and identify the workflow for the visual requirements of assigned work.
- Meet the internal and external deadlines within assigned hours.
- Help ensure the successful delivery of previs, postvis and final pixel engine shots to the client and internal teams.
- Using your 3+ years of Unreal Engine experience and understanding of photo-real, real time lighting you will work with the Department Supervisors, Leads and Creative Director to create and design lighting for different scenes and environments and can match live action footage lighting information.
- You will create and establish lighting looks with your understanding of GPU Lightmass and dynamic vs baked lighting and be able to use, setup and trouble-shoot Unreal Lumen Lighting techniques.
- Your proficiency with Unreal Blueprints and shaders and how they work will enhance the overall lighting look of assets, environments, and characters.
- Work with other real time artists on the project team to ensure that asset ingestion, scene setup, optimization for rendering, and performance validation follow required project guidelines.
- Your experience in developing virtual production, real time VFX, game and/or VR/AR content will inspire the team and the work.
- Provide daily updates to direct reports about the day-to-day running of your assigned tasks inclusive of technical and project build tasks.
- You will be aware of and strive to hit internal deadlines, help to ensure work is properly shown in dailies reviews and work with fellow artists to maintain a high level of work quality for review by the Real Time Supervisors and Client/Internal Supervisors.
- You will communicate project issues in regards to unforeseen project slowdowns, additional resource requests to the department supervisors and production team.
- Be familiar with internal best practices and learning documentation.
- Help to create project specific visual workflow documentation for the Real Time Share point central location in conjunction with the Department Supervisors.
- Work daily with the department Leads, Supervisors, Creative Director and production staff to help provide trouble shooting, technical and creative solutions to the day-to-day running of Real Time projects in our open Teams forum.
- Ability to use Light to create mood and atmosphere based on artistic direction.
- Work well with tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and willingness to initiate conversations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Highly organized
- Adaptive problem solver with a “solution-driven” attitude
- Strong attention to detail and follow through
- Experience in fast pace environment
- Unreal Engine
- Unreal Marketplace
- C# or C++ a plus
- Substance Designer/Painter
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to utilize allotted time efficiently.
- Highly experienced in working as part of a development team.
- Excellent communication skills in English; both written and verbal.
- Problem solving skills, self-starter, adapt to production changes are required skills.
- Up-to-date reel showcasing required skill set.
- Ability to work efficiently from home / remotely within a structured team environment.
- Evening and Weekend work based on production schedules.
- Extended periods of detailed work at a computer (depends)
- Full time Monday - Friday
*This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of experience, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
- Candidates MUST be located in British Columbia (or Ontario). At the moment this is a remote 'work from home' position with the option of working within our studio.
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs.
- All remote positions require the candidate to have a reliable internet connection via ethernet and work on Pacific Standard Time.
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
- Due to the sheer volume of applications, we receive, we regret that only those selected to interview will be contacted.